THE WRITING PROGRAMME
Season 2, July 2021
in association with
PAN MACMILLAN INDIA
A Six Week Certified Workshop
on Creative Writing
to discuss and develop
Programme Duration: 6 Weeks
Deadline for Registration: 30 June 2021
Programme starts on: 10 July 2021
SEATS ARE LIMITED.
WE ARE UNABLE TO EXTEND DEADLINES.
* Registration is subject to payment of the programme fee and submission of one completed story over email.
* Scroll down for Registration rules, Scholarship and the Testimonials from Season 1.
Art by Antara Majumdar
The Writing Programme will work with the applicants on:
•Plot Construction and the Story.
Identify your personal strengths as a storyteller and enhance the story using those attributes.
Learn to effectively use imagination, observation and memory to create realistic characters that stay long after the story is over.
•Drama and Dialogue.
Elements of drama and intelligent dialogues can make or mar a story. Learn about the stereotypes. Discover your own voice.
•Finishing and finalization.
Any form of art, be it painting, cooking, or writing, requires certain finishing touches. These include, and aren’t limited to, sharpening, polishing, and editing your work. All that glitters is NOT gold!
• Developing Women’s Narratives.
Women’s narratives are complex, demanding of the writer a unique sensitivity. Women’s stories and struggles have had to come a long way to earn the respect and recognition now accorded to them by literary canons. In popular media, women have been both idolised and demonised on the basis of the structural framework established by patriarchal practices down the generations. Many activists and crusaders, across the gender spectrum, have contributed immensely in strengthening the social position of women and fighting for equal civil, political, legal and human rights for women and gender minorities. In this programme you will collectively identify, discuss, and rework on stereotypes that tend to pigeonhole the image of women in fiction.
• All participants will receive a Letter of Completion (digital) from Pan Macmillan India upon successful and timely completion of course-work.
• All participants will receive a Certified Testimonial (digital) from the faculty upon successful and timely completion of course-work.
• An opportunity to learn, interact and network with renowned contemporary authors.
• Selected stories will
a. directly enter as an extention for The Mask Stories compilation of TellMeYourStory. Women’s Silence is also a mask!
b. be offered publication under the Online Collection of TMYS.
(Both are optional for participants; they may choose to not publish their stories here.)
• Selected participants will be awarded a special gift hamper, based on the development of their story ideas throughout the Writing Programme, their enthusiasm for and application of learning.*
• ONE applicant will be awarded Full Scholarship. *
* Decisions of the faculty will be final.
* Scroll down for Registration rules.
Somrita Urni Ganguly
Somrita Urni Ganguly is a professor, and award-winning poet and literary translator. She was a Fulbright Doctoral Research Fellow at Brown University, and is an alumna of the University of East Anglia’s International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School. Somrita is currently serving as a judge for the PEN America Translation Prize, and is Head of the Department of English, Maharaja Manindra Chandra College, University of Calcutta.
Koral is an author and literary entrepreneur. Having published widely with Westland Books, Niyogi Publishers and Rupa, her books are discussed from the context of gender studies, art, myth and ecocritical literature. One of her books has been optioned for screen adaptation. She is currently working with Pan Macmillan on the five-book Sati series - a retelling of the stories of the Pancha Kanya from Indian mythology - Ahalya, the first is on the shelves; Kunti will release soon. Her website is www.koraldasgupta.com
Himanjali Sankar is a writer and editor. Her children's and YA books include The Stupendous Timetelling Dog and Talking of Muskaan, which were shortlisted for the Crossword Book Award. Mrs. C Remembers - published by Pan Macmillan India - her first novel for adults, won her the FICCI Publishing Award for Upcoming Author of the year 2018. Himanjali loves the ocean and is a certified scuba diver.
Amanthi Harris grew up in Sri Lanka and London. She studied Fine Art at Central St Martins and has degrees in Law and Chemistry from Bristol University.
Beautiful Place published by Pan Macmillan is her first novel. Lantern Evening, her novella, won the Gatehouse Press New Fictions Prize 2016. Her short stories have been published and broadcast on BBC Radio 4. www.amanthiharris.com
Urmi Bhattacheryya is an author and independent journalist based in New Delhi. She was formerly Gender Editor at the Quint, where she reported almost exclusively on survivors of sexual violence and human rights violations. Her non-fiction book - After I Was Raped - has been published by Pan Macmillan India. Urmi writes for various national and international media outlets, such as The Boston Globe, The Globe and Mail, Women's Media Center, Mic, Toward Freedom, The Caravan and The Swaddle. She received the UNFPA Laadli Award for Gender Sensitive Reporting in 2020.
Sunanda Mehta is an author and senior journalist with over 25 years of experience. She was the Resident Editor of The Indian Express in Pune, before she took a break to work on her first book. The Extraordinary Life And Death of Sunanda Pushkar published by Pan Macmillan was released in 2019 to rave reviews and was long listed for the Ata Galatta award for best non-fiction and the AutHER award for best debut. A graduate from Lady Shri Ram college, Sunanda is a Chevening scholar and visiting faculty at Pune University. One of her stories on Restorative Justice was recently made into a television film produced by actor Aamir Khan.
Priyanka Gupta Zielinski
Business leader and author. Through her writings, she addresses the biggest pressure points facing the next generation of India: career, love, and marriage. By exploring the role of Indian traditions and repositioning them with a beneficial, modern twist, Priyanka seeks to empower India’s next generation in their pursuit of new opportunities and fulfilment in their lives and careers. Her book, The Ultimate Family Business Survival Guide (Pan Macmillan) is available worldwide via Amazon.
One applicant will receive 100% scholarship.*
1. The Scholarship will be decided on the basis of:
a. Sincerity of the applicant
b. How effectively the applicant puts the learning into action
c. Improvements in the story in the course of six weeks.
2. The Scholarship recipient will be awarded with an additional Letter of Recognition.
3. The fee will be completely reimbursed at the end of the programme, after the results are declared.
4. The applicant will be invited for digital interactions in future project/s of TMYS.
1. The programme will require participants to attend online meetings once a week (every Saturday for six weeks) for 1.5 hrs.
2. Timely completion of tasks are mandatory. The tasks will require approximately 2-4 hours per week, depending on the existing skills of the applicant.
3. All other details, along with the course schedule, will be emailed to the applicants post registration.
• Registration fee is INR6000 + 18%GST = INR7080 (USD100 all inclusive, for applicants outside India). Payable in advance by NEFT or Paypal.
Tell Me Your Story OPC Pvt. Ltd.
A/c no : 059685800000177, Yes Bank. Branch - Shankardhan Plaza Junction, MM Road, Mulund West, Mumbai 400080, IFS Code : YESB0000596.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for Paypal link.
• The Registration Fee is non-refundable.
• Applicants must register along with
1. a 1200 word short story on the given prompt
2. a bionote of not more than 100 words
3. a photograph.
4. Payment receipt against the registration fees
The above must be emailed to email@example.com
• Registration must be completed by 30 June 2021.
About THE WRITING PROGRAMME Season 1. May-June 2021
Participants registered from India, UAE, USA and West Indies.
(Amazon India link shared above. It is available for download via Amazon in other countries.)
The cover art is a bookmark created by Antara Majumdar.
Please get in touch with her if you want to buy, train or gift.