THE WRITING PROGRAMME
Season 4, December 2021
A Six Week Certified Workshop
in ADVANCED Writing
Programme Duration: 6 Weeks
Deadline for Registration: 20 December 2021
Programme starts on: 3 January 2022
SEATS ARE LIMITED.
WE ARE UNABLE TO EXTEND DEADLINES.
* Registration is subject to payment of the programme fee and submission of all necessary documents.
* Scroll down for Registration Rules, Programme Details and the Testimonials.
** For beginners without a ready/wip manuscript, our Workshops for Emerging Writers will be announced soon.
I. ADVANCED WRITING WORKSHOP
- for thorough discussion on manuscripts
- for those who are at the stage of developmental editing
- for those who are looking forward to submit their manuscripts for publication
II. WHAT YOU NEED TO SUBMIT FOR REGISTRATION?
- first three chapters from the ms (7500 words max)
- the synopsis (700 words max)
- introduction of each character in one sentence which tells his/her basic traits and why he/she is interesting
- the manuscript could be fiction or nonfiction
- the manuscript could be a work-in-progress, we don't necessarily need a completed manuscript
- author bio (100 WORDS)
- social media handles of the author (Facebook/Twitter/Linkedin/
III. WHAT WE WILL WORK ON?
Identifying and shaping the potential hit or miss factors for an aspiring author.
- The title of the book
- The tone, mood & feel of the work
- The story idea & execution
- The pitch
- Writing advice/talks on specific topics
- What publishers want, what editors love
- What appeals to the market, what applies to the market
- Social media presence
- The author identity and author personality
IV. HOW WE SHALL WORK ON THE ABOVE?
- weekly tasks to think and work on set targets
- weekly reading material, discussions and case studies
- The programme will require participants to attend online meetings once a week (every Saturday for six weeks) for 1.5 hrs.
- Timely completion of tasks are mandatory. The tasks will require approximately 2-4 hours per week, depending on the existing skills of the applicant.
- All other details, along with the course schedule, will be emailed to the applicants post registration.
V. TAKEAWAY FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Constructive criticism on your work
- Tighten the manuscript and add spunk to the characters
- Peer reviews
- Untangle the complicated planning/parts and the hitches
- 1 hour private conference with one mentor in the beginning (optional)
- Clarity on what works in the story, what to change, and why
- Have a pitch ready which also works as a guiding force for the manuscript to acquire precision
- Guidance in developing a professional bio and a logline
You aren't just joining a class, you are joining a community. The relationship continues because you will keep getting invitations for engagements from us.
- Certificate of Completion only on successful completion of the programme.
- Gift hampers for three most enthusiastic, disciplined and sincere learners.
- Free access to TMYS programmes for the next 6months for two selected participants (optional; by invitation)
- Interaction opportunities with renowned authors over live/private conferences for selected participants (optional; by invitation)
VII. COURSE FEE
INR 12,000 + GST = INR 14,160/- for India-based applicants.
USD 200 (all inclusive) for applicants residing outside India. Please email us for the Paypal link at email@example.com
Payable in advance. The Registration Fee is non-refundable.
VIII. REGISTRATION RULES
- pay the fees as elaborated in (VII) above and attach a screenshot
Tell Me Your Story OPC Pvt. Ltd.
A/c no : 059685800000177, Yes Bank. Branch - Shankardhan Plaza Junction, MM Road, Mulund West, Mumbai 400080, IFS Code : YESB0000596.
- attach the documents as mentioned in (II) above
- send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- registration must be completed by 20 December 2021
Somrita Urni Ganguly
Somrita Urni Ganguly is a professor, and award-winning poet and literary translator. She was a Fulbright Doctoral Research Fellow at Brown University, and is an alumna of the University of East Anglia’s International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School. Somrita served as a judge for the PEN America Translation Prize, and an Expert Reader for the English PEN Translation Grant, the National Endowment for the Arts Translation Grant offered by the US federal government, and the National Translation Award (US). She is currently Head of the Department of English, Maharaja Manindra Chandra College, University of Calcutta. Her work has been showcased at the London Book Fair, and she has read in cities like Bloomington, Bombay, Boston, Calcutta, Cove, Delhi, Hyderabad, London, Miami, Providence, and Singapore. Somrita edited the first anthology of food poems, Quesadilla and Other Adventures (2019), and has translated 3 Stories: Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay (2021), Firesong
She was selected by the National Centre for Writing, UK, as an emerging translator in 2016, and later invited as translator-in-residence at Cove Park, Scotland. In 2017 she was the poet-in-residence at Arcs of a Circle, artistes’ residencies offered by the US Consulate in Bombay. Somrita has been invited to deliver keynote addresses, talks, and lectures, and present her work at several institutions around the world including the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, Bath Spa University, University of Nottingham, the American Literary Translators Associaton, the Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters, the National University of Singapore, Jamia Millia Islamia, Aligarh Muslim University, and Viswa Bharati University.
Somrita's works have been published in Asymptote, Words Without Borders, In Other Words, and Trinity College Dublin’s Journal of Literary Translation, among others. She previously taught British Literature to undergraduate and graduate students in Delhi, and is a recipient of the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Award (2013) and the Sarojini Dutta Memorial Prize (2011).
Koral is an Indian author and literary entrepreneur. India Today critiqued her novel as "works beyond the obvious... with characters not just individuals but a philosophy." She is a compulsive storyteller and has published from academic non fiction to relationship dramas. Her stories explore the inherent nature of complex minds leading to a relatable conflict and unpredictable climax.
Having published widely with Westland Books, Niyogi Publishers and Rupa, her books are discussed from the context of gender studies, art, myth and ecocritical literature. Her fourth book has been optioned for screen adaptation. She is currently working with Pan Macmillan on the five-book Sati series - a retelling of the stories of the Pancha Kanya from Indian mythology - Ahalya and Kunti are on the shelves.
She conducts writing programmes and critical thinking workshops for educational and corporate floors. She is recognised in the list of Innovator25 Asia Pacific 2019 prepared by The Holmes Report, a New York based PR news agency and has been listed under the Women of Wonder (WOW) series in Outlook Business (September 2019). Her website is www.koraldasgupta.com
Suhail Mathur is an award winning and bestselling author of the historical-mythological fiction, THE BHAIRAV PUTRAS and the mythological-fantasy, THE HUNT FOR RAMA’S BOW, a TedX speaker, and is one of the country’s premier literary agents via his agency, THE BOOK BAKERS, through which he has worked on more than 700 books. An alumnus of Delhi Public School, NOIDA and National Law University, Delhi, Suhail, a lit fest regular and the festival director of the largest & longest online Literature Festival; The Book Bakers Online Literature Festival, has also worked as an English cricket commentator for Star Sports & Airtel’s mobile app. His name has also been listed as one of the ‘Top 51 Indian Writers To Follow’ by EBooks India and called ‘India’s JK Rowling’ by Enewsroom.com and ‘India’s Rick Riordan’ by ED Times. He has sold several Book To Screen deals, worked with several actors, cricketers and bestselling authors apart from having written and worked on web series, TV shows and animated series. He is currently working in a leading General Entertainment Channel where he looks into new show development and the acquisition of international animation shows & movies, and Indian live action content. He is currently working on his next book, an autobiography of actor-cricketer, Salil Ankola titled NO BOUNDARY IS BIG ENOUGH, being published by one of India’s biggest publishing houses, Rupa Publications.
Testimonials from previous writing programmes
Participants registered from India, UAE, USA and West Indies.